Friday, May 8, 2020

The Hornberg, Win & Me



WIN CYRUS, ME & THE HORNBERG
by DickAlley

       Authors Note: I first published this story back in 2007. Over the many years I have learned that the Hornberg Special is a streamer fly especially attractive to big trout in the early season. Win was an outstanding fisherman and friend who I think of often/

A few of my favorite flies for early season trout fishing



          Often an object, a phrase or a place in time bring back memories of friends, gone but not forgotten. Win Cyrus was a good fishing buddy with whom I shared many a great day on the water. A big handsome, happy guy with a great gift of gab, he sold insurance for a living. He was a decorated veteran of WW-II but never talked about it much. Win loved fishing, whether for trout in Connecticut or exotic big-game fish in Florida. He captured several fly-rodding records over the years. He fished all over the country. I once saw him reach into the water and tickle a bluegillright into the palm of his hand as it guarded its spawning bed. Win was the hit of every party. He could tell jokes incessantly and loved to tease the ladies (and they reciprocated in turn). I never knew him to have an enemy.


Besides selling insurance, Win had an outstanding radio career, operating his boat on weekends for WICC Radio station in Bridgeport, making timely fishing reports, often while he was actually playing a fish. He wrote well too, and was boating editor for Tidings magazine and in fact recommended me for my first magazine writing job with the same publication.


Win never knew a fish that disappointed him. On the salt water, he was expert at every method there was, but had a special love for the fly rod. In fresh water, trout were his favorites. He introduced me to the Hornberg Special and taught me how to fish it  one opening day in the Yantic River in Bozrah, CT.


We were fishing a good-sized pool that was fairly crowded. Almost everyone was spinning, including yours truly. The weather was a typical cold April day in the high 40's and the water had ice along the edges only days earlier. Win waded in far enough to manipulate his favorite old Shakespeare fly rod and while the rest of us worked our lures and caught nothing, he proceeded to catch four nice trout in as many casts with the fly. It got my attention and when we took a break from the cold, he showed me the fly. It was the Hornberg Special and he handed me one from his fly box. I went back to the car, rigged up the fly rod, tied on the Hornberg and waded in close to where he was fishing. He caught a fifth fish and released it, then another, noticed my frustration and laughing came over to tell me exactly how to work the fly. Two casts later, I hooked up. It's been my favorite fly ever since. I can't look at a Hornberg without remembering Win.


Over the years, Win developed diabetes and heart problems. It slowed him down but didn't stop him from fishing all of his favorite trout streams. One day it would be the Mianus in Greenwich and the next time he might be fishing the Natchaug in Chaplin or the Wood River in Rhode Island. When it was time for his insulin shot, he'd simply take out the syringe, pop it through his trousers and into his thigh and say--let's go fishing. He always carried a picnic basket in the car where he stored ingredients for his end-of-the-day Martini and when tackle was safely stored, would always treat his friends to a drink.

Win was an active conservationist. He served as President of the Westport Striped Bass Club at a time when that organization was a leader in leading the fight for preserving striped bass. He was also active in Trout Unlimited and other angling organizations.

Win lived the good life right up until his death a few years back. I am only one of a large group of friends who miss him and tell the good Win Cyrus stories whenever we chance to meet. - Dick Alley

3 comments:

Ed Stalling said...

Dick;

Love your new blog and this story brought back fond memories of seeing Win's boat plowing the waters and also the Hornberg in my fly box. I had forgotten all about that fly!

Look forward to reading your blog - great idea and keep it up!

Ed Stalling (Jr)

Annie & Pete Huminski said...

To both Dick and Ed,

Dad is missed greatly by his children as well. It's hard to believe he has been gone for 9 years. I can still hear his words like it was yesterday.

As for the martinis, once in a while I smell them in my house like my brother, John, and I did right after his death. I know he is still around and chuckling that we are getting such a kick out of this blog (which Eddie Boland and his wife sent to me a few years back.

Hi Dad... we all still love you!

Annie Cyrus Huminski

Nancy Yancy said...

I am Win's neice. I loved your article about my "Uncle Winnah".I didn't know the fishing side of him, but he was such fun to be around anytime I didn't need to know that side. I remember he always used to say when my sister and I were around "neices, neices,neices, I love them to peices"
I miss him too. Thank you for the Blog and the memories.


Nancy Yancy