Monday, April 27, 2020

FOR GOODNESS SNAKES!


FOR GOODNESS SNAKES
by 
Dick Alley

           I hate snakes! Even though Connecticut isn't over-run with dangerous snakes, I am always watching where I walk when fishing.

The "BUD" was great. Time for the main course.


                  When it comes to trout fishing, Bob Byers and I always enjoyed exploring the rives and streams in the northeast part of the State. Rivers like the Natchaug, the Yantic, Fenton River, the Mount Hope River, Bigelow Brook and others always offer the promise of good trout fishing in April and May.
                    One day, we traveled down a dirt road through  the forests up around Ashford and Eastford, and came to an open area, the site of some kind of former industrial operation. There were building foundations and a nice stream meandered through the area. It only took a few casts to produce a couple of trout as we walked around casting into different pools and riffles.We were walking the dirt road when one of us looked down to see an area that was crawling with snakes. The critter shown in the photo quickly drew our attention as it was obviously in the process of eating a trout about 10-inches in length.

                 I quickly headed back to the car to get my camera and very cautiously approached this big hungry guy. I don't like snakes and normally do everything in my power to put as much distance between myself and the snake,"any snake" as quickly as possible.
               As I drew closer, it was obvious that I was unwelcome. That snake suddenly began coughing and wiggling, flexing those neck muscles until it expelled the body of the trout. Just as suddenly, it turned and coiled and lunged at me, mouth agape, fangs bared. Luckily I was far enough away that it fell to the ground missing me by a couple of feet. (Thanks for telephoto lenses.) I would have loved to have had that shot, but I was too busy back-pedaling in the other direction to take it.
              This photo remains one of my favorites and always came up in conversations when Bob and I would tell war stories over a beer or two.

DWA

No comments: